M.R. Williams, Inc. is a family-owned business where convenience distribution is done differently. Established in 1976, M.R. Williams, Inc. has evolved throughout the years partnering with the convenience store channel to provide not only products and customer service but technological solutions unlike any other. Our employees understand their purpose is to make every decision by first asking how it will impact the customer. We take pride in understanding our customer’s needs while providing solutions through our selfless service and our continuous search for improvements. We are excited to find added talent that believes in our customers like we do.
About the Role
The Purchasing Buyer is responsible for utilizing our K3S buying system to daily purchase multiple categories, products, and supplies for the convenience store channel and college accounts. This role also uses the AS400 for item and vendor maintenance. As the buyer you are accountable for slow moving inventory, understanding product trends, maintenance of Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s), and assisting our Sales team with customer needs. This role works with our Purchasing and Marketing teams at our corporate office in Henderson, NC.
This position will require a small amount of travel. Travel examples would include:
- Assisting the reset teams on actual resets during your first 3-6 months to give you a working knowledge of the reset process.
- Trade shows – MRW has two major shows. Mayfest and Vendex are held in Raleigh and usually require overnight stays.
- Industry shows such as NACS
- Travel to understand the markets we serve and to gain knowledge of current market dynamics
Buying Multiple Categories
- Tightly manage Replenish, our inventory purchasing software system.
- Maintain 98% fill rates
- Communicate major product disruptions and changes to key stakeholders
- Cross Training within the department
- Margin improvement (buying in best supplier brackets, offering customers higher margin items, reducing damage loss, and product guarantees are set up correctly)
- Maximize Other Operating Income (supplier rebates, diverter opportunities, trade show income, marketing support)
· Inventory Management
- Reduce product loss by reviewing existing inventory that does not meet company standards. Work with suppliers to return products or communicate issues to the sales team so they can help move out poor-performing inventory.
- Meet GMROI targets (Gross Margin Return On Investment)
- Manage overstock
· Supplier Interaction
- Meet with significant manufacturers quarterly to review programs and product lines
- Review market trends to ensure product offerings are innovative
- Source new items
- Regular updates to all categories
- Review monthly products that are deleted or have existing supply challenges and recommend replacements to the appropriate teams
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Word, Excel
- 2+ years buying experience
- Strong communication skills
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Flexibility and strong follow-up
- High School Diploma, Associates Degree
Why M.R. Williams?
Do you love a small, family-oriented atmosphere? We are all a big family that depends on one another to get the job done. No one can do it alone and each person is essential. From the janitor to the executive, each role’s performance is vital, and everyone pitches in. Like the saying goes “when times get tough, the tough get going.” We certainly do at M.R. Williams, Inc., and we do it together. We would love to add you to our team! Apply today.